Thursday, February 2, 2012

WOW. 2 weeks old, and we are home.

Today our little Lucas is 2 weeks old. It is hard to believe what we have already been through in that time. It is hard to believe we are home! We anticipated that we would be in the hospital for 2-4 weeks post surgery, not going home at one week post surgery! It is wonderful to be home, and we are establishing our new normal with two kids. On Monday when the doctors came to talk to us about going home, they said they had no concerns about him going home. Jeff and I were so surprised. I am sure we asked them, are you sure?
When we brought Lucas home, Adeline was so excited to meet him, and wanted to hold him. And she likes to check on him, and still calls him "my Lucas."
So our medical plan is:
He is on two medications- Aspirin every other day and Lasik daily. He will also be getting a shot once a month, until April-that helps protect against RSV. (This was decided partially because of big sister.)
Over the next 2 weeks we will have in home nursing visits twice a week, they will weigh Lucas and take vitals- not sure what else they will do, they are coming this afternoon so I will update what we find out. (Especially to see if he has gained weight since we were discharged from the hospital.)
We have an appointment with the Pediatric Cardiologist tomorrow,they will be removing 2 of his stitches and will likely be meeting with them pretty frequently over the next 12 months. And then yearly after that.
We will take him to the regular pediatrician on Monday.
He is our amazing little man, and I am so thrilled with his progress and amazing recovery. Someone had commented that this kid will continue to amaze us, and I think you are right!
What else do you want to know? Is there questions I can answer, or things I have not talked about that would be interesting?
The only other thing is that we have to be careful when we hold him to not pick him up under his arms, because that could stress the stitches in his chest. So we scoop him up behind his bum and neck. We also cannot fully immerse his chest in water for a few more weeks as the chest heals.
We are thankful to have Grandpa here, helping us in so many ways. Adeline adores him and it is so helpful to have an extra set of hands as we try to figure out how things are going to work. It also allows me to rest more than I would be able to if he was not here. I am thankful he can be here, and that his other grand kids can survive without him for a few weeks while he stays with us. I know they miss him! Also, glad that Grandma will share him with us!
Now it is all the normal things like poopy diapers, eating and sleeping. Weird, with all the worry and concern about his heart, I had forgotten all the little things that bring you joy about having a new baby- the way you can stare at them for the longest time, even though they don't do anything. The way they look around in wonder. The way they bring more joy and love to your home. The calmness that fills the house when they sleep. :) All the little noises they make including snorts. The way they double your laundry even though they are so tiny!
The way your heart melts when they smile even if it is a reflex.
So I guess I am saying I love being a Mom, still. OR all over again, however you put it. I adore my children, and adore my husband, who is an adorable father. I am thankful for my family and for all of my friends that have supported us through this. Your thoughts and prayers and wishes have meant so much, and I thank you for every email, text, voicemail and any other way you have supported us, including dinner, cookies and gifts. The showering we have received is remarkable. I am so thankful for all of the support you have given. Kind of makes me tear up. In a good way:)

1 comment:

Tandy said...

I love this! And your description of having a newborn home almost made me rethink my stand on having another one. Talk to me in 6 months. ;)

So happy to hear you're all doing so well. He is adorable!

Post a Comment